Collingwood Auction and Flea Market History
Collingwood Flea Market opened it doors on March 2nd, 1957.
For over 50 years Collingwood Flea Market has provided merchants
a place to sell their goods. Cliff Schneider started Collingwood
Flea Market after the state decided to expand Route 36 thus
cutting through his original flea market business, Cliff’s
Since that business faced certain extinction; it made sense
to move to the southern part of the county, where there were
more farms. . When the market started it was primarily produce
and livestock auction.
In the 1960’s the market started to change. Area farms
started to give way to housing developments. Local farm products
began to diminish and in their place ordinary people began
renting tables for the weekend to clean out their houses and
make a few bucks.
By the 70’s new merchandise started coming into the
market. Merchants were able to find great deals in close-out
sales and factory overages and sell well below what consumers
would pay at traditional stores.
Collingwood business moved briskly through the decades until
tragedy struck on Sept. 1st, 1992. A faulty ice machine started
a blaze that wiped out the entire main building. Disheartened
but undeterred, Collingwood reopened its’ outdoor flea
market on October 10, 1992. With plenty of perseverance and
determination, Roland Schneider was able to get the main building
opened in December of 1993. Today Roland still runs the flea
market which is still bustling with a combination of new and